Protected Denomination of Origin Los Pedroches
In previous posts we talked about what a Denominationof Originis. As a reminder: it is a classification used to legally protect certain products such as ham, which encompasses the production area and the traditional methods used in it. For the consumer, it guarantees a constant level of quality and specific characteristics.
In Spain there are four in Iberian ham, today we will talk about the last one.
The hams and shoulders with D.O. Los Pedroches come from Iberian pigs, in all their strains, and those animals that have a minimum of 75% of this breed and a maximum of 25% of the Duroc and Duroc Jersey breeds are allowed.
Considering the feed the animal has received before slaughter, they are classified:
Acorn-fed hams and shoulders: Food based exclusively on acorn-fed and natural grasses.
Hams and shoulders for field fattening: Feeding based on acorns and natural grasses and finishing with grasses, natural substances and feedstuffs authorised and controlled by the Regulatory Council, based on cereals, legumes and oilseeds.
Hams and Shoulders of Bait: Extensive diet based on grasses, natural substances and feed made from cereals and legumes.
The minimum curing time for the pieces is 12 months for the shoulders and 18 months for the hams.
Characteristics of hams and shoulders
The characteristics of hams and shoulderswith D.O. Los Pedroches, at the end of the elaboration process, will be:
- Physical: Elongated, stylised, shaped by means of the so-called V.b. serrano cut. It will keep the hoof to facilitate its identification.
- Organoleptic: Meat with a slightly salty or sweet taste. Pleasant and characteristic aroma of this type of product.
- Colour: Pink to purplish red and appearance when cut with fat infiltrated in the muscle mass.
- Texture: Not very fibrous.
- Fat: Brilliant, pinkish-white or yellowish in colour, aromatic and with a pleasant taste, the consistency varies according to the percentage of acorn-fed food.
The area where the pigs are reared and fattened and the production process comprises the following municipalities in the province of Córdoba: Alcaracejos, Añora, Belalcázar, Bélmez, Los Blázquez, Cardeña, Conquista, Dos Torres, Espiel, Fuente La Lancha, Fuente Obejuna, La Granjuela, El Guijo, Hinojosa del Duque, Pedroche, Peñarroya-Pueblonuevo, Pozoblanco, Santa Eufemia, Torrecampo, Valsequillo, Villanueva de Córdoba, Villanueva del Duque, Villanueva del Rey, Villaralto and El Viso, and the areas above 300 metres in altitude in the municipa